Some inquiries that are commonly raised to the Commission staff are answered below. In addition, links with more detailed information on How to File a Grievance, the Investigation and Complaint Process, Pending and Resolved Formal Proceedings, Legal Authority, and Michigan Supreme Court Decisions are on the left.
The Commission staff works to keep this website current, but some court rule and internal operating procedure revisions may not be incorporated into the FAQ responses.
At this time, the Commission staff continues to work both in the office and remotely. Responses to inquiries by phone, mail and email might be delayed. The questions and answers below provide information that is commonly sought from the Commission staff, so a review may be of assistance.
1. WHAT IS THE MICHIGAN JUDICIAL TENURE COMMISSION?
2. OVER WHICH JUDICIAL OFFICERS DOES THE COMMISSION HAVE AUTHORITY?
3. WHAT ARE POSSIBLE GROUNDS FOR ACTION AGAINST A JUDICIAL OFFICER?
4. WHAT IS MISCONDUCT IN OFFICE?
5. DOES THE COMMISSION HAVE JURISDICTION OVER LEGAL DECISIONS, OR CAN IT BECOME INVOLVED IN OR COMMENT ON A LEGAL ACTION?
6. WILL THE COMMISSION STAFF ASSESS THE MERITS OF MY ALLEGATIONS BEFORE I FILE A REQUEST FOR INVESTIGATION?
7. HOW AND WHEN SHOULD I FILE A REQUEST FOR INVESTIGATION FORM?
8. MAY I FILE A REQUEST FOR INVESTIGATION BY FAX OR E-MAIL?
9. HOW DOES THE COMMISSION RESPOND TO A REQUEST FOR INVESTIGATION?
10. ARE REQUESTS FOR INVESTIGATION TREATED CONFIDENTIALLY?
11. HOW CAN I COMMUNICATE WITH THE COMMISSION STAFF, INCLUDING SUPPLEMENTING MY REQUEST FOR INVESTIGATION?
12. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO RESOLVE A REQUEST FOR INVESTIGATION CLAIMING MISCONDUCT?
13. WILL THE COMMISSION UPDATE ME ON THE STATUS OF THE GRIEVANCE, OR ADVISE ME ON ITS OUTCOME?
14. WILL THE JUDGE FIND OUT THAT I FILED A REQUEST FOR INVESTIGATION, AND WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IF THEY DO (INCLUDING POSSIBLE DISQUALIFICATION AND RETALIATION)?
15. WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE DISPOSITIONS OF A REQUEST FOR INVESTIGATION, AND HOW CAN A JUDGE BE REPRIMANDED OR SANCTIONED?
16. WILL THE COMMISSION RETURN MATERIALS OR PHOTOCOPY DOCUMENTS I HAVE PROVIDED TO IT?
17. CAN I APPEAL A DECISION OF THE COMMISSION?
18. SHOULD I DELAY PURSUING MY APPEAL IN COURT, OR TAKING OTHER LEGAL ACTION, UNTIL MY REQUEST FOR INVESTIGATION IS DETERMINED?
19. HOW DO I RAISE A CONCERN REGARDING THE CONDUCT OF A STATE COURT EMPLOYEE WHO IS NOT A JUDGE, MAGISTRATE, OR REFEREE?
20. HOW DO I FILE A COMPLAINT CONCERNING THE CONDUCT OF A FEDERAL JUDGE SITTING IN MICHIGAN, AN ATTORNEY PRACTICING IN MICHIGAN, OR AN ADMINISTRATIVE LAW JUDGE?